Major and minor home improvements that add value
Return on investment, or ROI for short, is a huge driving factor for many homeowners who are deciding to embark on a home renovation. You know by now that home improvements cost money, but the important question is will you be able to get any of that investment back when it is time to sell? Thankfully Bellevue has a stable housing market, so your home should retain value either way. But there are always ways to add more value to your home. Check out these home renovation ideas from HTP Builders, your Bellevue home improvement contractors.
Minor home improvements
- New Front Door: A new front door can recoup you nearly 100 percent of your investment. It automatically adds curb appeal and makes your home look up-to-date, even if only from the outside.
- Garage Door Update: Like a front door upgrade, a new garage door helps to add instant curb appeal to any home. Garage doors usually take a bit of a beating during their lifetime due to everything from storms to neighborhood kids with soccer balls to general wear and tear. A new garage door on your home will typically bring about an 80 to 85 percent ROI.
- Resurface Cabinets: If your cabinets are solid wood and in good condition, then refurbishing them might be just the facelift your kitchen needs. Pair this with new counter tops and your kitchen can go from looking old and outdated to modern and on-trend.
- Wood Deck Addition: This is a bigger project than some of the other minor home improvements, but it certainly is certainly one of the more affordable options when it comes to home improvements. While it doesn’t add any indoor square footage, a beautiful wood deck can add usable outdoor space that looks great and will be an instant draw to potential buyers if you decide to sell. Wood decks usually give you back about 80-90 percent ROI. So enjoy the deck while you’re there, and let the next homeowner who moves in return some of your investment!
Major home improvements
- Change the Floor Plan: Homeowners these days love an open floor plan, yet many houses that are more than ten years old do not conform to this trend. Changing up the floor plan and taking down walls to create an open area is a huge undertaking, but there are a few ways to keep costs down. Keeping plumbing and gas lines where they are and opting for pillars in place of completely knocking down a support wall is a great place to start if you are opening your floor plan on a budget. The ROI on a project like this will vary based on how much work had to be put in to create a new floor plan, but you can generally expect to recoup at least some of your investment.
- Master Suite Addition: A master suite addition is a great way to create a private retreat in your home and is especially favored by parents who might want to take a relaxing bath away from their kids. Since Bellevue is full of young families, a master suite is going to be a major pull and have about a 67 percent ROI according to some reports.
- Attic Bedroom: Any way you can add another bedroom in this housing market is a surefire way to get some major returns on your investment. An attic bedroom, while a big home improvement project, can generally recoup about 85 percent of the initial investment.
Looking for home improvement contractors?
HTP Builders are your trusted Bellevue home improvement contractors. We can tackle any home improvement, big or small, and these are just a few ideas to get you started. Get in touch today for a consultation or to learn more about how we can help on your next big home upgrade.Share